You made the decision to sell your home. Here are some tips to help you prepare it so that it becomes irresistible to a buyer.
- Distance yourself from your home:
- Prepare yourself to say goodbye to your home, you made many memories in this house and if you have kids it would be a great idea to go over these memories with them to include them in the process.
- De-clutter. A good rule of thumb is, if you haven't used it in the last year, pack-it.
- Rearrange every nook and crannies. Buyers love to open closets and cabinet doors. Everything needs to be organized.
- Consider renting a storage unit to store furniture that you don't need, remove the now empty bookcases store away the boxes and storage bins, leave just enough furniture in each room to feature the room's purpose.
- Remove favourite items:
- Remove everything you don't want to leave behind. Once you tell a buyer they can't have it, they will want it and it could jeopardize the deal. Pack it away.
- Make minor repairs:
- If the walls are a bright shade consider painting them a neutral colour, replace cracked floors, patch holes in walls, fix leaky faucets and kitchen drawers that jam.
- Make sure the house sparkles:
- Clean as if it was Spring cleaning time. This might take days to complete. You might want to hire someone for this part.
- Curb appeal:
- If a buyer doesn't like the exterior of your home, you'll never get them inside. Keep the sidewalk cleared, trim the bushes, fix the flower beds. Consider investing in planters and flower pots to liven up the curb appeal, marigolds are an inexpensive choice and on the plus side, yellow evokes buying emotions.
We hope that these tips will help you with the selling process. The next step would be, of course, to contact a trusted REALTOR®. We would be happy to help. You can contact us here.